At a glance
- PC-controlled mains switch
- USB device with 1.9 m USB cable
- Network enabled - switching from remote PC possible
- Switches 230V / 16 A, max 3,500 W (single phase motor rating
max. 550 W) using extrem reliable Finder®-Relais
- Multiple USB-Switches at a single PC possible
- Special version ATXX available which turns on with the PC
- The control software ClewareControl for timed switching,
USBswitch with a graphical user interface and
USBswitchCmd for switching via command call is ready for
- Any switch could be controlled by programmed timer with up to
256 switch points
- No driver installation needed with Windows® variants that
(® Microsoft Windows is a registered trademark
of the Microsoft Corporation.)
- Application Program Interface for easy integration
in user applikations
- Linux support now available.
- RoHS, CE & EN60950 conform/ IP20
- Any switch identifies with a unique serial number
- About 120 mA power consumption when turned on
- For indoor use only
- Software configurable as an USB-Watchdog or USB-Switch ATXX
- Also available in foreign housing with cable connection (USB-SwitchC)
- 4 years warranty
- Made in Germany
- Price EUR 53.90 (EUR 45.29 w/o VAT) incl. Software-CD
- Device also available with about 3,7 m USB cable (USB-Switch
The USB-Switch was tested in the german computer magazine ct, No.
17 / 2002, page 84.
Please order by sending email to email@example.com or take our Enquiry form.
The PC controlled power switch "USB-Switch" turns devices
operated at 230 V on and off. The maximum current is 16 A, maximum
3.500 W rated load AC1 (non inductive). The single phase motor rating
is 550 W. Please contact the dealer of the device to be switched
for more information. The USB-Switch should be operated in inner
rooms only and should be protected against humidity. The permissible
operating temperature range is 10° - 60° Celsius.
The software ClewareControl may turn the USB-Switch into a time
switch. Different repeat interval, start and end times may be specified.
Some very interesting applications could be created with the combination
of an USB-Switch with an USB-Temp sensor. The software ClewareControl
will then turns the USB-Switch on and off in direct reaction of
the temperature measured by the sensor. This could be used to control
heating or cooling devices.
The application ClewareControl could be also used to turn the USB-Switch
into a time clock. Up to 256 different time actions may be defined
for each connected USB-Switch. This includes actions based on the
day of the week or day in month. In addition repeat intervals form
several hours down to 3 seconds may be defined.
For easy access a very simple graphical program called USBswitch controls the switch just by clicking on icons. And for integration in batch programs, a command line tool USBswitchCMD is available. The software is running with Windows® variants that
support USB. (® Microsoft Windows is a registered trademark
of the Microsoft Corporation.)
The size of the switch is about 96 x 63 x 50 mm and classified to IP20. At the bottom a
german plug (Schuko) connects to the wall socket. In foreign countries
an adapter with sufficient rating may be used. A german socket (Schuko)
is located in the top of the switch. It will accept also EURO plugs.
Next the socket a LED is located to indicate the switch state. The
LED is red if the switch is off and it will turn to green if the
switch is on.
New: The USB-Switch is now available in the ATXX version.
This special switch turns on as soon as the USB controller inside
the USB-Switch is powered on by the PC. This makes it possible to
turn on devices with the PC the same way the pre-ATX power supplys
have done. The switch capability is still available, so the power
may turned off by the user at any time, e.g. to save power.
About 32 switches may be connected to a PC using
several HUBs. The HUBs used must use a separate power supply. When
using Cleware USB devices it is not neccessary to install device
drivers. The standard USB drivers are sufficient.
The USB-Switch may also be controlled via the network using ClewareControl. The connection
is established with the TCP/IP protocol. On the remote control PC
the USB-Switch appears like a local device and could be handled
the same way. Several devices even on different PCs could be controlled
An application program interface (API) to drive the USB-Switch from
customer programs is part of the delivery. The API bundles some
very simple functions for opening and reading the device. The complex
USB device handling is hided this way.
Linux support is also available. An application
program interface (API) and a simple example for turning an USB-Switch
is supplied. Some more support is planned.
Every Switch own its unique serial number. This make it easy to
identify the devices even when the USB plug position changes or
new USB devices are connected. The serial number is accessible through
the API and could therefore be used as a simple dongle.
The usage of the USB-Switch is strictly prohibited, when the failure of the switch will harm people.
PC programs may fail or may be interfeared through other programs.
Don't connect devices to the USB-Switch that may case harm if the
switch turns on unexpected!
The USB-Switch could be used in several ways. Here just a few examples:
- Controlling fans or air conditioning in combination with USB-Temp.
- Ink saving through the avoidance of the intensive cleaning phase
done every time the power of the printer is turned on - power
on only if printing is needed (Example).
- Turning highly visible signals on and off to indicate critical
situations (e.g. Police light).
- Time controlled switching of a siren to signal working hours
and rest times.
- Exact controlling of a low-cost oven in combination with USB-Temp (Example).
- Exact controlling of a chest freezer in combination with USB-Temp (Example).